5/9/08

Godless Science and Reason

Of course I believe in science and reason.

"But science and reason won't visit you in the hospital." says Greg Epstein, the humanist chaplain of Harvard University.

Like anyone else, I believe in lots of things, not only science and reason. And I am better at defending some of my beliefs than others. But should I be defined by, and forced to defend, things I don't believe in? Should there be some label applying to me because I don't believe in astrology, UFO's or Bigfoot? I'm open to suggestions.

I don't consider myself an atheist (but I'm not feeling particularly religious these days either). I used to proudly proclaim my Catholicism, but now I back away from it. Maybe I'm on the path to agnosticism or atheism, but my beliefs are well considered and evolving and resistant to simple labels.

In any event, Atheism appears to be the fastest growing "faith". Atheism presents a problem for those who don't believe in God, but who nonetheless value some of the benefits of organized religion.

Why have I said all this? Because I still have a big mouth, I like to think outloud and I found these issues are discussed in this interesting article.

No comments: